PHILLIPA'S TOP TIPS ON HOW TO CHOOSE A WEDDING DRESS
- Before you begin your dress search, try and decide what style of wedding you are going to have. Take your time and enjoy doing your research. There are so many wonderful magazines, websites and blogs out there filled with inspirational mood boards, image galleries and photo shoots. Pinterest is a great way to find and collate visual imagery too, and so is instagram. It’s so helpful to have a feel of the wedding before starting to look for the dress.
- Work out what your budget is. There’s not just the dress to think about… there’s the shoes, the accessories and the lingerie too. Brides often ask me what they should splurge and save on and I always say to them that if the dress fits fits perfectly people won’t be looking anywhere else…
- Start the process early. If you go down the couture route the possibilities are endless. You need to be able to take your time and allow your dress-makers to help you make all the important decisions, resulting in your perfect look for the day.
- Always be open-minded and don’t ever dismiss something until you have tried it on. What I call ‘wild cards’ are so often ‘the one’. It is important to try on all types of wedding dress shapes from full skirted wedding dresses to slim and slinky wedding dresses. Our appointments are 90 minutes long so you can try on lots of wedding dress styles and silhouettes.
- Everyone has their own opinion, and although your close family and friends who come with you to appointments are trying to help it can be confusing. Consider coming to the first appointment on your own. If you’re having a couture dress made there will be many more opportunities to invite your bridesmaids and family along to fittings once the dress has been chosen.
- You will know when you have found the dress, so don’t panic and go with your instincts. You will get it right. I always say it is a nice problem if you like a few totally different dresses – just keep coming back and drilling down until everything is apparent.